Earn a Certificate

Additional Information

Testing of the home environment is an expanding employment opportunity. Commonly called indoor environmental testing, these services are used by home buyers (and home owners) concerned about potential hazard exposure. We provide an opportunity for training to obtain our Certificates attesting to your competence as an environmental home inspector. The courses include hands-on experience with the testing equipment (vendors are suggested), and samples of accurate and actionable testing reports.  

There are 4 short courses, which emphasize testing methods and discussions of the health problem. Each course has an end-of-course exam, and offers a Certificate of Completion, saying that you are competent. The training takes 2 days for each course. Students should contact moseservices.com to learn more (and to register).  

The instructor assumes that individuals taking these courses have no college training in science, so the information is presented in a practical fashion with many examples. Students are sent a study guide and are encouraged to read the information and take the practice exams before coming to class. The course is taught as if all the students know little about the subject and have not yet read the information. Experience shows that students score higher on the official exam if they read the information before coming to class. 

Although not necessary, in addition to becoming Certified, students should consider obtaining insurance (e.g., General Liability Insurance, Errors and Omissions Insurance, Workman’s Compensation Insurance). 

INSTRUCTOR - The Primary Instructor is Doctor Douglas Mose, Chemistry Professor in Northern Virginia (retired in 1917), taught college science courses (chemistry, geology, environmental and general science) to both undergraduate and graduate students for over 30 years. He also taught environmental training for the US-EPA, and has taught environmental Certification courses for over 10 years. Professor Mose is the recipient of excellence in teaching awards, and a member of both applied and academic professional associations, He has appeared on television and radio, and is a consultant to environmental companies. He was trained as a trace-element geochemist, working with natural radioactivity. He has published over 100 scientific articles (many on environmental investigations) and spoken at well over 100 scientific conferences.  

Course 1: Certification in the Measurement and Identification of Mold and Asbestos (2 

days, 16 C. E. Credits). The course teaches about the sampling and identification of indoor 

toxic and allergenic mold and asbestos, teaches how to write reports and discusses 

remediation methodology.  

Course 2: Certification in the Measurement and Identification of Contamination in Water 

and Soil (2 days, 16 C.E. Credits). The course teaches about the sampling and 

identification of contamination in drinking water (bacteria, metals, organics. etc.) and the 

soil (heating oil, metals, etc.) around a home, teaches how to write reports and discusses  

remediation methodology. 

Course 3: Certification in the Measurement of Radon in Water and Air (2 days, 16 C.E. Credits). The course teaches about the sampling of radioactivity in air and drinking water, teaches how to write reports, and discusses the remediation methodology. 

Course 4: Certification in the Measurement of Indoor Airborne particulates (pollen, dust, combustion products, insect and pet debris, etc.) and Indoor Surface Contamination (lead in paint, drug preparation chemicals, etc.) (2 days, 16 C.E. credits). The course also teaches how to write reports and discusses remediation methodology.   

RECERTIFICATION - Each Certification must be renewed after two years; students will be notified when recertification is necessary. Recertifications for Courses 1-4 are 1-day courses, and the fee is 50% of the original Certification Course. Standards of practice are reviewed, and students must demonstrate their ability to properly use their analytical equipment. 

IMPORTANT – some states require a License or other proof of your ability to do some of our environmental tests. Contact your state Health Department to determine your situation. 

NOTE - Courses 1-4 can cost the student less if they can demonstrate that they are already certified in the course subject (bring their equipment to our class, demonstrate its use, bring examples of their reports).

Learn More

Click Here to:

Find out more